Thursday, February 13, 2020

What We Ate In Taiwan, Part 13 - Sun Moon Lake

While most foodies are snobs when it comes to buffet food, for some reason I love buffets, even where the food might appear marginal.  Indeed my love of buffets was so well known that when the late Pulitzer Prize winning Los Angeles Times food critic Jonathon Gold received an inquiry on Chinese buffets, he referred it to me.  Consequently when I stepped into the Crimson Restaurant in the Fleur de China restaurant at Sun Moon Lake, my eyes lit up because this was the Grand Central Station of buffets, and another tip of the hat to Supera/Signet Tours (www.superatours.com).  Seemingly hundreds of people filled the dining room and most of them seemed to be in motion much of the time.   Here are some of the more interesting selections, and I didn't bother with the sushi section or the desserts under glass, as I didn't partake of these.

Have you ever seen roasted garlic as a main dish?



The roasted quail was really good.


Fried mushrooms anyone?


Mackrel.


Gua bao.  I skipped the bun and headed straight for the pork belly.


Smoked meat potato bread pudding.


And how about all the red dragon fruit you would ever want to eat?


I was too busy eating to take any more pictures.  We had our only stinky tofu of the tour and there were  naan, tandoori chicken, curry beef, tomahawk pork chops, and a steak station.  

No comments:

Post a Comment