Thursday, February 13, 2020

What We Ate In Taiwan, Part 10 - Milestone in Tainan City

For those of you familiar with my Excel schedule of Chinese restaurants I have eaten at, I like to make each "hundred" restaurant special, particularly making it one I would be unlikely to revisit by being geographically distant.  I knew that number 7600 would be on this Supera/Signet tour of Taiwan, and indeed, I didn't find out which restaurant it was until after I returned home and tallied all my eating visits on the trip.  Number 7600 turned out to be in Tainan City and appropriately was another one of the exceptional meals planned by the Supera/Signet (www.superatours.com) tour organization.  

Dinner started out with the fried sticky rice with fish roe cubes.  This was a very interesting dish because I had always associated fish roe with round little balls, but here all we saw was what appeared to be small chunks of dried meat.  But that was the fish roe, which we actually saw for sale the next day in the Lukang Old Street Market.



Next up was the equally interesting fried dragon balls.  What may you ask are dragon balls?  Well it's probably good I didn't ask at the time because dragon balls are made out of squid mouths.  Actually I think I knew it was squid.



Then came the squid balls, presumably from the rest of the squid.



A nice bowl of bitter melon soup, our first taste of this vegetable on the trip.


 Some nice sliced Chinese sausage.



Tofu with ginger and scallions.




Grilled chicken was presented differently and delicious.


Clam and pineapple soup was, uh, well, different.


Very nicely presented grilled cod.


And such interesting needlefish skewers.


Finally dessert time with a taro sweet pot.


Another fantastic meal thanks to Supera/Signet Tours.  We'd never find any of these places on our own.  And would you believe afterwards we went on our own to the Tainan night market?  But we didn't eat anything because we were so well fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment