Friday, January 21, 2011

An Uncommon Nightmare

While my dreams are often unusual, defying time, space and logic, I seldom have nightmares. But last night's dream probably falls into the nightmare category, particularly since it was one of the few times where I could not immediately distinguish the dream from reality. Specifically I felt as if I were unable to get up from bed, as if somebody was sitting on me. Managing to get free I then left the bedroom and encountered other family members who told me it was almost 8 o'clock. I took a considerable period of time for me to realize that I was still asleep (if that makes any sense).

The interesting thing about this dream is that my daughter once had a similar experience when she was a teenager. She felt that she was awake, lying in bed, with somebody or something preventing her from leaving the prone position. She mentioned this to my dad, who though very intelligent and logical, also had some interesting beliefs, including things relating to paranormal activity. I think she was looking for a paranormal explanation from my dad, but he told her it was really a dream and she had never actually been immobilized. Apparently he had heard of such dream sequences before.

I do recall one other instance of not distinguishing being awake or asleep. I remember waking up one morning and looking up on the ceiling where the hard wired smoke alarm was usually positioned. But instead there was a large object, kind of light a small satellite or gigantic Christmas ornament with flashing lights hovering over the room. Frankly, I don't remember ever waking up from that dream, and I'm only assuming it was a dream because it couldn't have been real.

No comments:

Post a Comment